Coffee Spanish Torrijas
- Yield: 6 to 8 servings
- Nutrition: See Below
- Prep Time: 10 Minutes
- Cook Time: 5 Minutes
- 1 (14 oz.) can Eagle Brand® Sweetened Condensed Milk, divided
- 1/3 cup strong brewed Folgers Classic Roast® Coffee, plus 4 tsp., divided
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 2 to 3 tablespoons Crisco® Light Tasting Olive Oil
Or 2 to 3 tablespoons Crisco® Pure Canola Oil
- 1 (6 oz.) loaf French bread, cut into 16 (1/2-inch) slices
- Ground cinnamon
- HEAT oven to 250°F. Place small baking sheet in oven.
- WHISK together 2/3 cup sweetened condensed milk, 1/3 cup coffee and vanilla in large bowl. Whisk egg in medium shallow bowl until blended.
- HEAT 1 tablespoon oil in large skillet over medium heat. Dip one bread slice at a time in milk mixture, then in beaten egg, turning to coat both sides. Place 5 to 6 slices in heated skillet. Cook until browned, about 1 to 2 minutes per side. Place on baking sheet in oven to keep warm. Repeat with remaining slices adding more oil as needed.
- COMBINE remaining sweetened condensed milk and 4 teaspoons coffee in small bowl to make topping. Drizzle topping over warm bread slices just before serving. Sprinkle with cinnamon.
- For a citrus topping, stir 1 teaspoon lime juice and 1/4 teaspoon grated lime peel into topping.
Nutritional Information Per Serving
Serving Size (1/6 of recipe), Calories 350 (Calories from Fat 100), Total Fat 12g (Saturated Fat 4.5g, Trans Fat 0g), Cholesterol 55mg, Sodium 240mg, Total Carbohydrate 52g (Dietary Fiber 1g, Sugars 37g), Protein 10g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 4%, Vitamin C 2%, Calcium 20%, Iron 8%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.